Wednesday, January 25, 2012

This winter really hasn't been that bad at all.

I thought I would like to just put this thought out there for people who are getting ready to pull their trusty steeds out of storage a little early(like me!!!).

 How to put your bike back into service after extended storage         

      To put your bike back into service after extended storage:
      *Clean fuel system (tank, lines, all filter screens, taps and carb
        banjos).
      *Clean points and plugs with contact cleaner.
      *Lube all grease fittings, advance unit, and chain, and cables.
      *Change oil in engine, oiltank, forks, gearbox, primary chaincase. It is a
        good idea to unscrew and clean the sump filter and the oiltank filters,
        and then pour a half cup of engine oil in the rocker caps to drip down and
        lube tappets, cams and prime oilpump.
      *Unscrew oil pressure light switch fitting, and force oil under pressure
        into the hole to prime crankshaft shell bearings.
      *Kick over with plugs out until oil begins circulating.
      *Check and adjust primary and rear chain tension, valve clearance, points
        gap and timing. It is not a bad idea to retorque head and cylinder first.
      *Check tyre pressure.
      *Replace battery, and fully bench charge new one before use.
      *Strobe check timing, adjust carbs and cables, and test run during
        daylight hours, then check over for loose hardware.
      

This is my short must do list. There are so many more things you can and should do. Me personally I give my bike a full service every spring. I treat the swingarm pivot to some new grease. I also regrease and check the steering head. I mean why not? This bike of mine has to be safe, and I really like the feeling of how it rides when I keep up on all of this stuff. Is it work that just anyone can do? Probably not. Sorry, but it is the truth. If you want to learn more of this stuff start hanging out with different bikers who do their own work correctly. Buy yourself a bible, otherwise known as a service manual, for your exact bike. It must be for your bike. You will be surprised how much of the stuff you will be completely capable of doing.

Well as we start heading towards spring here I have already started getting my daily rider ready! I have a dream! Can't wait to ride again!!!!

Keep the rubber down, ride it like you stole it, and any other cliche you can think of!!!!
      
       
           

No comments:

Post a Comment