Monday, June 25, 2012

Something I have been wanting to do for some time!

I have been wanting to make my own custom fiberglass saddlebags for quite sometime. The ones I find I like are so expensive it's ridiculous. The ones I can afford are just plain boring or ugly. Well in my web travels this week I found a very informative tutorial. This gentleman did exactly what I have been wanting to do for a long time. Not only did he do it, he documented the entire process, and man oh man they look sweet!!! They look so good I though I would share his tutorial with anyone, if there is anyone at all, who reads this blog.

Step by Step for making your own fiberglass Saddlebags.

I used the foam board method. Purchase several sheets of 1" foam board.

Next create your shape using a piece of cardboard to create a profile of your bags.

Cut the sheets to a rough shape of what your looking for leaving 1 to 2 inches of extra. ( the inner sheets should have the centers cut out to make for easier removal )

Glue the sheets together using foam glue. Align the sheets and press together using something heavy to hold them together.
(example I used 9 layers for mine)

Zoom in (real dimensions: 800 x 600)Image

Wait a days for this to dry.

Now you have to shape it. (hot knife hand saw sanding) I cut two pieces of wood exactly the same and put them together on either side of my bag and then used a sawzall with a long blade, making sure to not cut into the wood.

Zoom in (real dimensions: 800 x 600)Image

Once you have finalized your shape and have to of them the same it's time to tape.(masking tape)

Image
Zoom in (real dimensions: 800 x 480)Image

Tape each one with two or three layers of overlapping tape.

If you do this the final layer may be not to smooth. If you want to make it smooth so the painter doesn't have to work to hard to smooth it out after you've taped it use a body filler over the tape (all over) and sand smooth.

Plan a opening or door of some kind.

A door will be done in the same fashion just later same for a lid.

Now it's time to start glassing. Read the waring labels and use in a well ventilated area. I used 32oz mat and lots of resin.

You will do one side at a time. Mix up some resin and lay it down on one side using a brush (that won't melt NO SPONGES) Get lots of brushes you can't clean them and it's not worth it. Also mix your resin in a plastic bucket when it dries you can crack it out and use the bucket again.

Layer each side all sides with resin allowing time to harden on each side. (smooth any rough spots with a power sander as resin is hard to sand)

Now cut your glass to fit with interlocking over lays on the edges this will make it easier to strengthen the corners. If you overlap try not to do so on the next layer in the same way as to keep the surface smooth. (smooth out any rough areas or fibers that didn't lay down)

With time to dry on each side and layer do two layers and then the final layer is resin only. Be generous as to create a smooth surface.

Once your done. Resin, glass/resin, glass/resin, resin. Time to do the same steps for a lid or door. The trick here is to (masking) tape off the area of overlap where the door or lid over laps what you have done.

Zoom in (real dimensions: 800 x 480)Image
Zoom in (real dimensions: 480 x 800)Image
Zoom in (real dimensions: 800 x 480)Image

When the lid is done pry it off and take it easy but it will come off.

Now dig out the foam there is no easy way to do this. Try a screw driver to break it up into pieces or a dremel.

Zoom in (real dimensions: 800 x 600)Image

The tape will want to stick and the foam is tough but try to not pry against your new fiberglass.

The pics I've provided are of my old and new bags note the design change I also layered in some expanded aluminum for extra strength.

Zoom in (real dimensions: 800 x 480)Image

Then go have someone paint them

Zoom in (real dimensions: 800 x 480)





Image

I don't take any credit for this work. I certainly hope my next winter project turns out half as good as these did!!!! Hope you all enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment